Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God – God remains in him and he in God. 1 John 4:15
What is John talking about here in this one verse? John is echoing the words of Paul, who was in turn echoing the words of the Old Testament prophets when he wrote these words to the Roman church and ultimate to us:
This is the message of faith that we proclaim: If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. One believes with the heart, resulting in righteousness, and one confesses with the mouth, resulting in salvation. For the Scripture says, Everyone who believes on him will not be put to shame, since there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, because the same Lord of all richly blesses all who call on him. For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Romans 10:8-13
What Paul and John are both doing is laying out the process by which you are saved. And that process is very simply this:
- We have to recognize that everyone sins.
- “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God”-Romans 3:23 NIV
- We have to recognize the penalty for our sin is death.
- “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”-Romans 6:23 NIV
- We have to believe that Jesus Christ died for our sins
- “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”-Romans 5:8 NIV
- In order to be forgiven for our sin, we must believe and declare that Jesus is Lord, because our salvation only comes through faith in Christ.
- “But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.”-Romans 10:8-10 NIV
If you recognize that you are a sinner and that penalty for that sin is spiritual death, you believe that Jesus Christ took the penalty for your sin, then all that is left is to declare with your mouth what you already believe in your heart. And you do that by very simply praying this prayer:
Dear God, I know that my sin has separated me from you. Thank you that Jesus Christ died in my place. I ask Jesus to forgive my sin and to come into my life. Please begin to direct my life. Thank you for giving me eternal life. In Jesus’ name, Amen.